Sunday, September 5, 2010

Side Project: Server Upgrade Part 2

A major roadblock has presented itself, which has now grown to the point where it deserves it's own post. :(

Problem #3 (The BIG One)
A new problem has arisen :( . It turns out that Windows XP is unable to detect blank disks or create partitions that are larger than 2 TB. EPIC FAIL. My original plan was to throw together a 64-bit Windows 7 install in order to create the 10TB partition and then revert back to Windows XP to read it... Alas, EPIC FAIL was again the result. The card that connects all 6 drives and creates the array is just plain too old - no Windows 7 drivers exist for it and the OS can't natively detect it. So I'm throwing the Hail Mary pass - Linux. I tested the compatibility with the card - Linux is able to detect the drives connected to it. However, that leaves us with:

Problem #4
I destroyed the original array. I made a slight mistake in the original creation by making the block size too big (just go with it - otherwise, you're in for crazy technical talk). So now, before I can find out if this crazy plan will work, I've got to rebuild the array (a process that has been running for nearly 36 hours now, with 4 to go). SO once the array rebuilds itself, I can install Linux on a spare drive, boot it, and try to partition the mega drive array. I've got just about every finger and toe crossed... I don't exactly need another EPIC FAIL.


**UPDATE...again** OK. After many many hours of my life that will never return, I have the solution. Windows XP x64 is my only option. 2 different versions of Linux = EPIC FAIL. Standard XP, even after creating the partition on a temp install of 64-bit XP = EPIC FAIL.So now, I'm backing up all of the necessary files from the original copy of Windows on the server, and then wiping it and slapping a fresh copy of 64-bit XP Pro on there. I console myself with the fact that this version of Windows is gonna be WICKED FAST.

AndTHAT, ladies and gentleman, is how we do that.

No comments: